Fact Sheet On Turkish Humanitarian Aid To Pakistan , 03.09.2010
UKGY-II 31 August 2010
FACT SHEET ON TURKISH HUMANITARIAN AID TO PAKISTAN
(4-31 August 2010 )
* The Turkish Government and people have a long tradition of providing help to the brotherly people of Pakistan. As such, Turkey was among the first donors to provide humanitarian aid to the brotherly people of Pakistan in its efforts to cope with the devastating floods.
* The Turkish Government has donated 10 million US Dollars in cash assistance to provide for the immediate needs of the flood victims.
* Pertinent state agencies have launched fundraising campaigns to enhance the aid effort. Approximately 40 million US Dollars have been raised during this ongoing campaign.
* Moreover, based on urgent requirement lists obtained from Pakistani authorities, Turkey has so far delivered a total of 2202 tones of humanitarian aid consisting of food items, tents, kitchen utensils, hygiene kits, medicine, other medical supplies and prefabricated houses valued at 13.610.000 USD including transportation costs.
* This material has been sent to the region via 10 cargo planes, 62 trucks and 2 trains. In the coming days 3 more trains are expected to leave for the region.
* One of the cargo planes allocated by the Turkish armed forces (C-130) has remained in Pakistan in order to support local efforts to distribute aid material within the country.
* Two mobile hospitals have also been setup in Khairpur in the Sindh Province and in Dera Murad Jamali in the Balochistan Province. Teams of 20 health personnel are providing health services to the victims in each hospital.
* The Turkish Red Crescent will be setting up prefabricated houses for 10.000 people in Muzaffargarh. A third mobile hospital will be established in the same area.
* Since the beginning of the disaster the Turkish Red Crescent has been actively working in the field, so have Turkish NGOs been providing much needed assistance to the flood victims of Pakistan.
* Turkish efforts to alleviate the sufferings of the brotherly people of Pakistan will continue.