Turkish Embassy in Wellington

Embassy History and Previous Ambassadors

Relations between the Turkish and New Zealand peoples date back to the Ottoman period. These relations gained new legal basis in 1937, following the proclamation of the Republic and inclusion of New Zealand into the area of responsibility of our Consulate-General in London, and the subsequent establishment in 1941 of an Honorary Consulate in Auckland. Diplomatic relations with New Zealand were maintainted through our Embassy in London until 1978, when the Turkish Embassy in Canberra was accredited to New Zealand. The Turkish Embassy in Wellington was established in December 1991, and assumed responsibility for bilateral diplomatic and consular relations following the presentation of Letters of Credence to the Governor-General of New Zealand by  H. E. Teoman Sürenkök, the first Turkish Ambassador resident in Wellington, on 10 February 1992.

The Turkish Embassy in Wellington is also responsible for diplomatic relations with the Republic of Fiji, the Kingdom of Tonga, the Independent State of Samoa, Tuvalu and Cook Islands, established on 17 November 1975, 26 January 1976, 12 April 1979, 19 July 1979 and 28 October 2008, respectively.

Geographically the farthest diplomatic mission from Turkey, the Turkish Embassy in Wellington had been based close to the Parliament Building in downtown Wellington, at Level 8, 15-17 Murphy Street, Thorndon, until September 2015, when the Chancery moved to its modern premises at Level 12 of the same building, to better reflect the relations between Turkey and New Zealand.
 
Teoman Sürenkök
31.01.1992-30.10.1995
Halit Güvener
01.11.1995-30.03.1998
Ahmet H. Ermişoğlu
01.04.1998-15.09.2001
Ali Ünal Maraşlı
01.10.2001-31.03.2004
M. Uğur Ergun
01.06.2005-25.06.2008
Mehmet Taşer
12.05.2009-16.12.2010
Ali Yakıtal
15.01.2011-16.05.2012
Damla Yeşim Say
04.06.2012-15.11.2016
Ahmet Ergin
01.12.2016-